It started out as a mere twinkle in Gabriela’s eye, a dream to create something special and the desire to make it happen. And then one cold, winter night in early 2016, five Romanians and an Englishman sat around Bogdan’s coffee table and gave birth to Wey Hill Football Club. The goals were simple: A 60,000 capacity stadium within four years and Europa League football in six.
The minds behind the whole project and their respective positions in club were: Luke Edwards (Chairman), Gabriela Dogaru (Treasurer), Bogdan Dogaru (Club Secretary), Alexandru Stanciu (Assistant Secretary), Radu Lungu, (Manager) and Doru Marin (Physio).
And so it was set. On 26th May 2016 Wey Hill FC became an officially affiliated club, ready to take on the world. And the Surrey and Hants Border League.
After an exciting pre-season and the arrival of a whole squad of new players, the club played their first friendly on 7th August 2016, the first goal being scored by Matthew Chatfield in the same game.
11th September 2016 saw Wey Hill’s first ever competitive game, with the first competitive club goal scored by Andrei Lipovanu and the club’s first league victory coming two games later on 2nd October 2016.
An eventful first season saw football that was often beautiful, occasionally terrible but always entertaining. The club battled through fierce weather, dodgy offsides, red card debuts and 30 degree pitch inclines to finish a respectable 5 points off 4th spot (a better way of phrasing ‘8th’).
With the experience of a first season under the club’s belt, quality additions to the squad and the aim to build on first season, Wey Hill starts 2017-2018 with 9 undefeated games. We lose our tempo over the season and finish 4th in the league.
July 2018 comes with a major change for the club as we decide to expand to Saturday football as well. We can only look forward to our continuous progress and be #ReadyToWin.
- 2 February 2016: First ever meeting between the founders: Gabriela & Bogdan Dogaru, Luke Edwards, Radu Lungu, Doru Marin and Alex Stanciu.
- 26 May 2016: Wey Hill affiliates to Surrey & Hants Border Sunday League
- 7 August 2016: First ever game. Friendly vs Woking Tigers Reserves ended in a loss 1-4. Matt Chatfield scores first goal
- 11 September 2016: First ever competitive game vs Guildford Athletic Reserves (1-2). Andrei Lipovanu scores first official goal.
- 20 December 2016: Wey Hill FC Christmas Trophy
- 23 April 2017: Wey Hill FC finishes first season in their history: 7th place in Division 3.
- 22 April 2018: We show progress and finish 4th in Division 3.
- 1 July 2018: Wey Hill FC expands and officially registers a team in Division 1 of Guildford & Woking Alliance Saturday League.
- 1 June 2019: The club decides to drop the Sunday team and to focus on one single Saturday side.